Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Quilt

This photo is of a rag quilt that I gave to my eldest daughter (Peanut) when she went off to college this Fall.  I did not make this quilt (because I'm not domestically gifted that way).  I took a bucket of material to an older Amish lady named Sarah, and she and her husband made it for us.


I didn't tell Peanut that I was doing this.  I didn't even wait for her to open it in front of me.  I didn't think I could watch her do it and not keep the tears from falling.  This quilt is made from her father's clothes; the flannel shirts, khaki pants and jeans he always wore. I took a bucket filled to the brim with things he used to wear, and Sarah and Jonah made this beautiful reminder for her that she can keep with her forever.

I wanted her to have something of her father's to take to school with her since she would be away from home.  If she ever feels like she needs a hug from him or wants to be close to him, this is the best I can do for her now.

This certainly cannot replace her father, but it can hopefully help her feel closer to him. He lived and breathed inside of those clothes, and now they can comfort her much in the same way they would if he were wearing them and wrapped his arms around her himself.

If you have lost someone you love, I totally think this is a beautiful way to remember them.  I had meant to take some of his shirts and wrap styrofoam ornament balls with them to make some cute flannel ball ornaments for Christmas for his family, but the first time I cut into one of his shirts, I was surprised at how it made me feel, and I just couldn't keep cutting.  I am thankful for Sarah and Jonah for helping me create this memory for her that I never would have been able to do on my own.

12 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I keep one of Ron's shirts in a zip lock bag. just so I can open it now and then to remember how he smelled. I do quilts and was going to make one of his jeans for Kori,, but I was the same way. the first cut did me in. So they are stored away in case one of us can ever make those cuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a tough one, and I can't quilt anyway, so I knew I wouldn't be able to do that on my own. My mama was instrumental in finding someone to do it :)

      Delete
  2. What an amazing keepsake. I'm sure she will treasure it always not just because it brings her closer to her dad, but because her mom went so above and beyond to have it made for her. She will now think of both of you, every time she uses it. What an amazing gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful gift for your daughter. Such a blessing to find someone who could lovingly put it together for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was!! She didn't like to work with denim, so we only have a little of his jeans in here, but it worked out well :)

      Delete
  4. Oh Dina that's an amazing gift, something I never gave thought to. Beautiful idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't give the clothes away but didn't want to store them forever, either. It was a great way to build a memory :)

      Delete
  5. What a great idea! I've been saving old shirts with cool logos to one day make a quilt, but who am I kidding? I can barely use my sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either!!! I was so glad to find someone who could do this for me and didn't charge an arm and a leg!

      Delete